Saturday, July 4, 2020

Freedom and Mindsets During Pandemics and Global Upheaval

Well, first, let me say, yes, it's been a while!




But the blog is back, and I want to thank you for remaining a loyal reader!

On this 4th of July, I gotta tell ya, I really wasn't feeling very celebratory in the traditional sense - meaning cookouts, time on the water, the typical holiday fare for many Americans on this day.

Many. But not all.

We are learning, during these challenging times, that our society is far from all-inclusive. We are learning a lot. And while I agree that we aren't obligated to process our feelings and thoughts or even share our actions publicly, I do believe we are obligated to do something.

What that something is, that's up to us, as individuals. But this is definitely a time to be bold, even if our boldness is the quieter type. The behind the scenes type. The 'I want to speak out but still remain safe during a world-wide pandemic' type. The making phone calls, sending emails, showing up at the polls, working-on-ourselves-and-our-perceptions type of action. You, too, are bold. And appreciated. And so, so necessary.

This is also a time to reflect, to take stock of our lives, to really think about where we are, and what we are doing, not only as a society, but as individuals. For me personally, it's been a time to embark on a new style of art, new series of works, to redesign my home into a studio, and to finally create a professional website, which if all goes to plan will launch Monday, July 6th. (Just two days away, yikes! Can you feel my excitement?!?! More on this later!) Nothing is the same as it was before, and that includes me. Which makes sense, really. In a time of so much change, why would I stay the same? I can't. I, too, have been forever altered by 2020.

But this is also a time when it's necessary to stay focused and positive, even on the days when it's so, so difficult.

On this day, when America celebrates freedom, many Americans are recognizing that freedom is a relative concept with many, many interpretations. I've chosen today, instead of focusing on freedom, to focus on gratitude. And I am so grateful that I am free to do this! To make the choice daily of where to focus my energy and my intentions. This is one of the most powerful attributes that we possess as human beings - the ability to shift our focus, to change our mindset, to say "I am..." and choose for ourselves what follows those two words.

Photo courtesy of Instagram. Source unknown.
To be able to change my mindset, and in so many ways, my life - this is a freedom that I am so, so grateful for, today and every day!

Thank you for being here! See you again soon!

~ Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment